Into the Song:
A training opportunity for emerging musical theatre performers
Young People’s Theatre (YPT) is excited to announce the third edition of our Summer Intensive Training for emerging actors, Into the Song. This free-of-charge training opportunity will be led by Broadway performer and YPT director, Thom Allison, focusing on honing skills required when telling a story through song. The program will explore character and connection to songs in contemporary musicals, specifically Into the Woods.
“Being able to sing is a given to get the job. But the great musical theatre performers – Bernadette Peters, Christian Borle, Idina Menzel, Ben Platt – become great by digging into the lyric and thought and making it personal. And that’s the difference between good and THRILLING!” – Thom Allison
Thom Allison plays ‘Pree’ in the hit series Killjoys on Space/Syfy Networks. His theatre credits include: Broadway – Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; Toronto – original Canadian companies of Miss Saigon, The Who’s Tommy, Rent; Stratford Festival – My Fair Lady, Hello, Dolly, Into the Woods; Shaw Festival – Ragtime, Guys and Dolls, A Little Night Music. Thom has also performed with YPT, Theatre Calgary, Grand Theatre, Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Vancouver Playhouse, Citadel Theatre, and the National Arts Centre. TV/FILM credits also include: CBC’s Over the Rainbow (Judge), Murdoch Mysteries, Kim’s Convenience, and I Me Wed. See a clip of one of Thom’s performances here.
Applicants must be:
• In professional actor training at one of Canada’s theatre schools or participating in an actor training program offered through an arts organization.
• Available for all training dates August 25th to September 3rd. (Sessions will run from 9:30AM-5:30PM each day.)
Applicants should submit:
• A video of themselves performing one song and one monologue. The video must not exceed four minutes. The video can be a DVD submission or a YouTube link.
• A brief letter (no more than 500 words) expressing their particular interest in this training opportunity.
• Two reference letters from current instructors.
This training program is free, thanks to generous support from the Slaight Family Foundation. Partial funding may also be available to offset some travel/accommodation costs. Applicants should indicate how they might benefit from this financial assistance.
Application Deadline: May 18, 2018 (mailed applications should be postmarked with this date).
Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Into the Song” or mailed to the attention of:
Karen Gilodo, Associate Artistic Director, Education
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front St. East Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Successful candidates will be notified by June 29, 2018.